The Shaunte L. Allen Literacy Scholarship is a performance-based scholarship designed to create access and resources for those seeking to enhance their literacy skills. Our goal is to promote information and digital literacies for family educational awareness, entrepreneurship, and employment resources. Research shows that low attainment of educational equity and digital literacy is directly correlated to the national poverty rate. This includes poor health and nutrition choices, dilapidated housing, and lower job wages. We are committed to fighting illiteracy. Are you?
Allen Vocademy, LLC™ will select two scholarship recipients who demonstrate a need to improve their literacy skills and a desire to succeed in life. The $250 scholarship can be used toward courses at Allen Vocademy, any academic institution, or workforce organization. SUBMISSION DATES: TBA
Allen Vocademy’s mission is creating access to dynamic adult literacy and education experiences that enrich skills acquisition and application to transform lives.
- Help close the literacy achievement gap, before 2030, by remediating 500 learners annually to strengthen and expand the number of educated and skilled citizens contributing to the workforce.
- Increase library usage by 30% to promote information and digital literacies for family educational awareness, entrepreneurship, and employment resources.
- Donate two $250 literacy-improvement scholarships annually.
- Be a City of Glenn Heights resident.
- Be within the ages of 16 – 100.
- Provide unexpired legal identification (Texas Driver License, Texas Identification, School or College Identification).
- Complete the online scholarship application in its entirety.
- Write a 1 – 2 page analytical essay discussing _____.
- Provide all library documentation.
- Provide one letter of recommendation from a teacher, supervisor, or community leader who can attest to your literacy or education goals.
- Using the Glenn Heights voucher, obtain a library card from DeSoto Public Library or Cedar Hill Public Library. Scan/Copy the front and back of the library card (your name and face must match on both library card and unexpired legal identification).
- Check out the library book _______ and READ it. Scan/Copy the front and back of the book or scan/copy your check-out receipt.
- Using MS Word or Google Docs, type a 1 – 2 page analytical essay discussing _____.
- Create one combined pdf of all scans/copies of the essay, letter of recommendation, library documentation, and unexpired legal identification.
- Complete the online scholarship application and upload the combined pdf before the deadline. Finally, click SUBMIT!